Spiced Tomato Sauce
Recipe type: Chutneys, Sauces and Pastes
- 1kg ripe organic tomatoes, diced
- 3 - 4 dates, pitted and diced
- 1 tbs ghee
- 1 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 spring onions
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 cloves
- pinch cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- water for boiling
- Heat ghee in a large pan.
- Add the cumin, cloves and mustard seeds and allow to pop.
- Add garlic and spring onions together and cook until soft.
- Add the tomatoes, dates, turmeric, cayenne pepper and salt.
- Cook until softened and fragrant.
- Blitz or puree to a smooth texture.
- Serve as accompaniment for pasta dishes, as a sauce for a pizza, or with vegetable koftas!