Panacea for all
Recipe type: Main Meals
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1 potato, sliced in rounds
- 1 small parsnip, swede, or turnip, sliced in angled rounds
- 1 carrot, sliced in angled rounds
- 1 small wedge of pumpkin, sliced in 4-5 cm lengths
- ¼ of a red onion, sliced
- ½ dozen fresh beans, sliced in 3-4cm lengths
- ¾ cup shredded cabbage, spinach or kale
- 2 broccoli and or cauliflower florets, cut so small sizes
- 1 cm piece of ginger, finely grated
- 1 cm piece of fresh turmeric, finely grated (see note)
- 1 tsp high quality salt, unrefined & pepper to taste water to cover root vegetables
- Optional to serve:
- 1 tbs coriander, parsley, dandelion greens, rocket, baby spinach, or a combination,
- 1 tbs dry roasted pumpkin and or sunflower seeds
- Smear the base of a small saucepan with ½ tsp of the ghee. Layer the vegetables one type at a time from longest cooking e.g. root vegetables to shortest, e.g. shredded greens or broccoli.
- Finely grate the ginger & turmeric over the vegetables.
- Dab the remaining ghee over the top veggies and sprinkle with the pepper and salt.
- Pour over enough water to barely cover the root vegetables.
- Place a lid on the pan and cook until the potato is soft, approximately 8 minutes.
- Spoon a portion from the pot scooping right to the bottom of the pan to get a variety of the vegetables in your bowl. Ladle some of the lovely salty, spiced broth over the veggies, top with a sprinkling of fresh torn greens and if desired some hot, dry roasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds.
- Take a moment to give thanks for the simplicity and tastiness of this dish in our complex and busy lives.
- Note: If using turmeric powder, you add a ¼ tsp to the broth with step 2!